Wednesday 17 December 2014

Around the House 6 - Chair

This chair lives in my son's bedroom.  It spent much of its early life as a nursing chair, but is now becoming increasingly used as a climbing frame or tent post.  It started life as this IKEA chair.  While cheap and amazingly comfy, the plain cream cover was just a bit dull.


A quick trip to the fabric section  at IKEA found this fun, stripy fabric for about £4 per metre.  I initially thought that to cover the chair I would have to make a whole new cushion cover, but on taking the binding off from round the edge of the existing cover I found I could just make new panels to go over the top of the existing cushion and rebind the edges afterwards.  It saved a lot of time and effort as I didn't have to spend ages measuring all the dimensions, inserting zips etc - I pretty much just drew around the cushion and started to cut.


I just put the original binding back on the cushion.  I didn't stretch it quite enough, hence the six inch strip of green binding on the right hand side (I was too impatient to get it finished to wait to go out to the shops to get matching) but actually I don't mind that little flaw at all.

It's such a fun and funky chair now, I love it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment